The Difference a Day Makes

Jacquey and Claire examining the outside of Bernadette's house

Jacquey and Claire examining the outside of Bernadette’s house

Yesterday was our first day on our own measuring houses.  We split into three groups of three and headed to our separate houses.  Claire, Jacquey, and I headed to Bernadette Maddigan’s house to measure her house and start our floor plan.  We started off with the outside and measured all the sides of the house including windows, doors, the veranda, and the front and back porch which jut out from the main house.  It was interesting to what we had been shown and practiced earlier in the week in action.  After completing the outside of the house we stopped to the convent for a quick lunch.  We headed back to the house and that’s when the trouble began.

Bernadette's companion Blackie who visited us frequently the past few days

Bernadette’s companion Blackie who visited us frequently the past few days

Starting in the back porch we added the measurements for a built in cabinet, and a water pump then we ventured into the bathroom.  Two people measuring a bathroom is quite a tight squeeze and this is where we began to see issues.  The exterior walls in the bathroom appeared to be a foot thick.  We went outside and measured again.  We went inside and measured again.  Everything appeared to be correct!  Finally we decided to leave it and come back to it.  We moved into the pantry and aside from the thick walls all seemed fine.  The walls were still an issue and we were losing time so we decided to start from the front porch.  Here the walls were still quite thick and time was running out.  Finally we opted to pack up and head home to the convent.

Gregorian chants and popsicles

Gregorian chants and popsicles

Andrea and I were on cooking duty and prepared a vegetarian shepherd’s pie.  To unwind we listened to a CD of Gregorian chants while Sharna read Henry Glassie aloud.  Andrea and I supplied jam-jams and popsicles as dessert and we all ate a quiet meal with the accompanying chants.

A bump in Bernadette's home indicating a wall which has been removed

A bump in Bernadette’s home indicating a wall which has been removed

This morning was a new day and we headed to Bernadette’s again.  Claire had checked over the measurements and drawn a new drawing to see where the issues were but couldn’t find any major problems.  Dr. Chappell suggested the walls were simply thick due to the layers of siding and insulation over the years.  We opted to draw both the original wall size and the current wall size to show the different dimensions.

The wood stove which replaced an older stone fireplace.  This may have been a lobby entrance house with a large stone fireplace in the centre, and stairs to the second floor.

The wood stove which replaced an older stone fireplace. This may have been a lobby entrance house with a large stone fireplace in the centre, and stairs to the second floor.

It was much smoother day and we worked from the front porch through the house adding all the different measurements from built in cabinets to sinks, from stairs to counters as we went.  We labeled the rooms and added notes for changes and built in work.  We stopped mid afternoon for some cookies, a cup of tea, and a chat with Bernadette.  We left feeling much happier and more accomplished than yesterday and it just goes to show the difference a day can make!

The difference of a day!

The difference of a day!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s